Trannings Clutch Repair in Plymouth – Clutch listening tests
Trainings automotive provide diagnosis and clutch repair in Plymouth and the surrounding areas. If you think you are having a few issues with your clutch there are a few tests you can do before taking it into a Garage. Have a look at our guide below.
Diagnosing the problem
- The first thing you will need to do is turn on the ignition ensuring the car is in neutral and the handbrake is on.
- The diagnostic’s you can perform are simple listening tests. At this point your engine should be on and without doing anything else listen to the sound. You are listening for a low growling noise. If you hear anything unusual then you probably have a problem with the clutch transmission. This isn’t a difficult repair but if you don’t know what you are doing it will be a good idea to take your car into a clutch repair specialist in Plymouth like Trannings to do further diagnostics.
- If you didn’t hear a low growl then the next step is to slowly push down on the clutch pedal to about half way and again listen for any unnatural noises. The main noise you are listening for at this stage will be a high pitch squeaking. If that is the case you probably have a problem with the clutch bearings or clutch release and again will need to visit a garage.
- If you have passed the first two steps (not counting turning on the car!) press the clutch fully to the floor and again listen for any sounds that sound unnatural. If you have an issue at this stage you will come across a squealing noise which will be an indication of a problem with the bushing or pilot bearing.
- If you have completed all of the above and the clutch feels normal when in use you probably don’t have a problem with it and you will need to do further diagnostics to find out what the problem is. If you find that when you drive the car the clutch is slipping, grabbing or sticking then you could find that the clutch has worn and you will need to have the entire thing replaced.
If you think you require clutch repair in Plymouth or the surrounding areas and have noticed one of the problems we have mentioned above it is worth taking note of what you have heard and when, to take this information to the garage. The more information you can give a mechanic the easier it will be for them to diagnose the problem and better still showing a level of knowledge will help ensure the garage doesn't try and charge you for something you don’t need.
Of course at Trannings you don’t need to worry about that and our clutch repair in Plymouth will come with a completely free full car diagnostics to put your mind at ease.
For more information about our services please contact us on the number above or navigate around our site for more information.